Chicken Cooked in Oyster SauceMonday, September 29, 2014
This is a very common dish cooked in many homes and cze char stalls across Malaysia and Singapore.
It is my default go to dish when I am rushed for time or too tired to think. But it is delicious and comforting in its own way and come with a sauce which is great for the rice.
You can choose to simplify it and skip the marinating step. But marinating it does improve the dish significantly. Chicken marinates well in salt and wine.
1 Chicken - cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon cornflour
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
3 tablespoons Chinese wine
Half a bowl of thinly sliced ginger
1 tablespoon of sliced garlic
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon dark sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese wine
- Marinate the the chicken for 4 hours.
- Heat up the oil in the wok or claypot
- Add the ginger and garlic slices and fry till fragrant
- Add the chicken and stir.
- After a minute, add the rest of the sauces.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or till it is cooked. Just before you serve, add the spring onions.