Auntie Ruby's Hakka Yong Tau Foo - A Recipe SummaryMonday, September 19, 2011
In this post, I will summarise the recipe for Hakka YTF in one table. I will not list out every piece here but will do so for those that use different techniques for preparation. Please read my previous posts on HYTF here.
Download the recipe in printable PDF format here
Ingredients Quantity Methods
minced pork belly
mackerel/”batang” fish paste
spring onions (scallions)
white pepper powder
2 x 2-inch pieces
5 whole pieces
1. Using a chopping board, mix and chop the ingredients. Add water periodically to moisten the mixture. About 20 minutes. (Alternatively, you can use the food processor)
Stuffed Brinjal (Aubergine or Egg Plant)
1. Cut diagonally into 1-inch thick pieces
2. Slit the center to create a pocket
3. Spoon in the stuffing.
4. Pan fry (0.5 inch of oil) in medium-high heat and fry in batches till the exterior is charred and crisped. About a minute on each side per piece.
5. Drain oil by placing in colander or paper towel
1. Wipe with a wet towel or immerse in water briefly.
2. When pliable, cut into 4x6 inch pieces.
3. Place the stuffing in the middle on one side and roll.
4. Lay the rolled bean curd on the expose edge so that it will not open up.
5. Pan fry in medium-high heat till crispy. About a minute per side
6. Drain oil by tilting the piece vertically and place in colander or paper towel.
Stuffed Red or Green Chili
1. Slit the chili in the center.
2. Use the end of a spoon to dig out the seeds and stem.
3. Add the stuffing.
4. Shallow pan fry and cooked the stuffing without overcooking the chilli, which will wrinkle if so. You may need to use a pair of chopstick to hold the pieces in place.
Stuffed Tofu (Tau Kwa)
1. Make a small slit and be careful not to break up the Tau Kwa.
2. Add stuffing
3. Shallow pan fry on all sides.
4. You can add this to the soup or eat as is.
Stuffed Bitter gourd
1. Slice into rounds.
2. Remove the inside flesh
3. Replace it with the stuffing.
4. Shallow pan fry briefly on both sides as this will help the stuffing to stay in the bitter gourd when you cook it in the soup.
yellow soy beans
mackerel fish head and bones
small dried scallops
chicken stock powder
1. Add everything into a pot and simmer for 45 minutes
2. Then add the stuffed bitter gourd and tofu and simmer for another 20minutes.
Oyster-flavoured Sweet Sauce
500 ml + 1 small cup
1. Heat up water in a small pot
2. Add sugar, soy sauce and oyster sauce
3. Mix the corn flour in a cup of water and add slowly into the pot while whisking the sauce
4. Boil the sauce till it has the right thick consistency. Adjust the taste if necessary