|I added Mee to my home version|
It is readily available in almost every food court. Even the Penang ones are appearing all over Singapore these days.
Some still prefer to fry them at home. I venture to explain some of the possible reasons:
- They like to turn their homes into smokehouses.
- They want a romantic evening, gazing hazily at each other, with the song "Smoke gets in your eyes" in the background
- They want to try out different ingredients. Such as foie gras, truffle oil or lobster meat. Oyster in place of cockles. Instead of lard, they prefer the apparently healthier la graisse de canard (duck fat!)
- They dislike queues (and the better CKT stalls always have queues - I call these the Char Queue Teow stalls - CQT).
- They dislike the CQT man who always scowl with a 'take it or leave it' attitude.
- They dislike the made-to-feel-guilty stares as they queue and bump into a friend. Sheepishly, "Er..I only queue for CQT once a month!
- They are dying to try their new wok and burner.